[ale] Ubuntu install witout formating /

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Wed Nov 1 10:50:53 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I'm trying to install Xubuntu on my laptop _without_ formatting /.  It
> has FC5 on it and I created a /FC5 and copied all my old stuff into
> there.  When I try to install Xubuntu it will not allow me to install
> without formatting /.  This will remove all my old stuff.  Is there a
> way around this?  I guess I can copy all 12G off and then back on but
> that sucks and takes time.

I've installed ubuntu twice in the past couple of days.  First time, I
had trouble using the resize feature (???).  Second time (on my laptop),
I used the manual partitioning to overwrite a Debian install.  I noticed
that there is an option not to skip formatting of the specified partitions.

I imagine that this would result in some unkempt leftovers from the
and delete all but the home (and other important directories).  Then
unmount and skip the formatting for a cleaner install.  If you were good
about keeping /home on it's own partition, there should be few problems.
  Just reformat all but the home partition.

bw