[ale] Can't print some PDFs

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue May 30 17:15:09 EDT 2006

> Hey all,
>
>      I have run into problems printing particularly flashy pdf documents
> on various different HP printers (HP4000s) under different versions of
> redhat (RHEL4 and older). Upon trying to print such a document it seems
> to hang up in the printer. It says "Processing Job" on the printer LCD.
> I have waited 15 minutes to no avail. I also tried setting it to a raw
> print queue. Other stuff prints fine. Anybody else run into this one?
>
> Thanks,

It is possible to have a document that won't print due to RAM size needed
to hold the document on the printer.

Try pdf2ps to convert to a postscript document and then view it with gv.
If it won't view, the original PDF is "broken" (i.e. using something
poorly causing a crash).

Also, it is possible to lock a PDF against being printed. This can be
determined using acroread and looking at the document properties.