[ale] OT: cool gadget

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue May 30 14:02:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 07:45:34AM -0400, Jim Philips wrote:
> A fellow geek at work turned me on to this. If you go to a mechanic to see why
> your "check engine light" is on, they'll charge you a hundred bucks just to
> plug it in and see what message the onboard computer is sending. Now, you can
> plug in this gadget and read the messages yourself. You may or may not know
> what a big deal this is. Some mechanics will lead you round and round for
> weeks trying to find the reason for that little light. Check it out here:
>
> http://www.actron.com/

You used to be able to short two of the pins on the connector and get
the check engine light to blink the codes to you.  I remember buying a
book at an auto parts store that documented the procedure and what all
the codes were for the car model.  It might have been Chiltons, but I
don't remember.

I don't know if this still works though.  Obviously, you don't want to
go shorting random pins together on the computer interface...

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9