[ale] KDE apps crashing

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun May 28 22:05:16 EDT 2006

On Sun, May 28 2006 20:41, Jim Philips wrote:

> If it isn't that, I would try renaming your .kde directory and
> restarting KDE. See if the behavior changes. If it does, you have a
> config somewhere that's causing a problem. You can narrow it down by
> moving the config fiules for apps that you run and then start them up
> again. You might also try the kde-linux list. There are a good number of
> KDE developers there.

The only application that I have had problems with is Kontact, though I use
Kubuntu.  I suspect that how the different distributions build the software
probably makes something of a difference, because they probably use
different build flags and options and the like.

In any case, Kontact sometimes gets its panties in a bunch, and I will have
to remove some files from the config directory for it, but never anything
that is so important that I lose any mail or NNTP information.  For the
most part I am pretty happy.  :-)

In the past, however, I have had problems (mostly with KDE 3.4, though
sometimes with earlier versions that I cannot remember) with having to
remove the entire .kde directory tree to keep things happy.  Of course, I
never liked doing that, but there are *so* many files and directories in
there that it is pretty hard to track problems down if you do not have a
specific pattern or one particular application that is crashing.  If it is
just one application, it is pretty easy to track down.

	- Mike