[ale] Fedora Core 5 memory management?

J. D. jdonline at gmail.com
Sat May 27 19:25:22 EDT 2006

Heya all,

     I am a fan of many linux distibutions and am a bit of a linux junkie in
general. I have been a gentoo user for awhile and really dig it but have
been trying a few different distros to see what they were about. Suse is a
lot of fun too and I even play around with debian every once in awhile.
Centos has found a happy home on my test box for the time being.
     I installed FC5 on my main linux box (athlon 2800 @333, gig of ram) and
have been surprised by how fast programs appear to run on it. I'm thinking
the programs I am using (typical workstation stuff) are already cached in
ram. It appears to be something in the way the distro deals with memory. I'm
not sure if is some kernel option or if it is some kind of (forgive the
term) pre-fetch cache. Perhaps it is something with KDE... Has anyone else
experieced a this with FC5? Any idea what it could be? Anything particularly
different about that distro?

J. D.