[ale] KVM switch?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri May 26 19:54:58 EDT 2006

Geoffrey wrote:

>Greg Freemyer wrote:
>

>>I've got a bunch of 4port KVM switches, and several of them don't work very
>>well.  Mouse etc. keeps getting out of sync with the Linux computer.
>>Fortunately most of my Linux boxes are CLI only, but I like to have the
>>option to so a startx and have it work.
>>
>>Now I need to get an 8-port KVM, and I don't want to spend $1,000+, but it
>>only seems smart to find one that actually allows the mouse to work with
>>Linux.
>>

>I've got a 4 port Linksys that cost me around $100 about 6 years ago.
>Works great with Linux and still going.
>
>I can't speak for anything larger or newer. :(

I have an 8-port D-Link DKVM-8E, which works great with Linux. Around $215,
additional 6' cables $12, comes with two cables. No software to install,
so it
works with any OS. Rack-mountable.

There's some situation that causes this KVM to lock up and need a manual
reset, but it is very rare, and may be related to the fact that I'm
powering it
from the PS/2 ports (it comes with an A/C adapter, which I don't have room
to plug in).

-- Joe