[ale] Comcast HSI was Re: 10M service

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri May 26 19:03:45 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 26 2006 16:51, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> I'm east of Midtown Atlanta near Virginia Highlands.  Comcast is sucking
> this week due to major packet loss in one (both?) of their Atlanta
> headends.  Every Comcast HSD customer rep is very nice, and they are
> willing to roll yet another truck to our neighborhood, but they just
> can't understand that the problem is not the plant but rather the
> headend.
>
> I'm sure they will figure it out one day, but I'm not betting it will be
> soon, esp with a major holiday weekend coming up.

The worst part is that they do not typically hire very technical people to
serve as technical support.  Even if they do, it is almost like they are
providing workstation support.  Every time I have to call in, I certainly
do not have a problem with my workstation, I have a problem with the
service itself.  I've had problems ranging from their NNTP auth server
failing (which is ComCast managed, even though the spools are outsourced),
to excessive intermittent network troubles, and so forth.  They seem to
have been worse over the last two or three weeks, though -- there was an
outage in this area that lasted several hours, and things haven't been the
same since.

Of course, getting the reps to understand this, or understand that I do in
fact know what I am talking about, is like somebody trying to convince me
that my apartment has some level of advanced intelligence embedded within
the wood, rock, and metal that comprises my building.  *shrugs*

	- Mike