[ale] Comcast HSI was Re: 10M service

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri May 26 18:59:09 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 26 2006 16:34, Joshua Kite wrote:

> I'm at the southern end of Ashford Dunwoody, between Peachtree and
> Clairmont.  Our neighborhood email group is filled with more complaints
> about Comcast HSI than anything else.
>
> The Comcast people we've talked to (all the way up to a regional VP) seem
> to be unaware that problems exist, much less that they seem to be caused
> by their own people.
>
> Could we get a show of hands of who and where have had similar problems
> w/ Comcast?  This isn't a bitch session as much as it is looking for a
> pattern.  If everyone in Atlanta is having random cuts in upload speed,
> then it's surely not the cable on my street (which the local supervisor
> acted like it was).

Interestingly enough, we have problems in Decatur, too.  Just seems to be
part of what one has to put up with.  Our connection drops randomly,
somewhere between 3 and 6 times a day.  I could be downloading a file and
the entire connection (through the cable modem) dies a horrible death, and
sometimes refuses to come back even after a power cycle or two.

We have also had problem related to speed cuts and the like, which is part
of the reason that I canceled the 8 Mbit service -- it is most useful
during the "graveyard" hours, and I am not all that often awake, then.
Even then, I have to use things like wget to download large files, so that
I do not have to manually restart them.  I would have thought those days
were over when I stopped using dial-up, however, that is not the case.  :-)

Anyway, I am not sure why it drops, but I was curious and checked the cable
modem itself the other day -- and even its own "internal" network
communications are timing out with ComCast.  So, it isn't just my
perception.

	- Mike