[ale] OT: Do Not Call list

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 13:48:47 EDT 2006

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:44:26 -0600
From: JK <jknapka at kneuro.net>
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Do Not Call list
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>

Geoffrey wrote:

<snip>
>I'm wondering if the "quick, go register with the do not call list RIGHT
>NOW!!!***!!!"
>hoax is really a roundabout way of *gaining* access to cell numbers.
>
>Reasoning:
>
>The do-not-call website states that DNC registrations stay in effect for
>five years; but what
>happens to them then?  Will the DNC registry publish a list of numbers
>that *expired* from
>the registry without renewal? If so, then anyone who responds to the
>hoax (as I admit
>I did) is giving the telemarketers their cell number, five years from
>now, unless they
>remember to renew with the DNC registry.  And since we all know that the
>hoax was a
>hoax, why would we bother to re-register? QED
>
>-- JK

Yes, and after the 5 years you would simply call them again and have your
number put back on the list (it really did take less than a minute). But
aside from doing that, I'd be pretty surprised to find out that someone has
been able to keep their number out of a telemarketer's hands. Telemarketers
can be fun, when you're not busy or anything; "Sure! Tell me all about it!"
*set down phone*. It's one of those things where you don't feel bad, no
matter what you do. But I do what most of you guys do: don't answer any
calls unless I know the number.

-Steve Brown