[ale] Hardware monitoring

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon May 22 20:45:19 EDT 2006

Nagios is mostly GUI.  You still have to do much work to get it to
monitor everything.  This is what I saw when I installed it 6 months
ago.  Many people have been releasing their monitoring scripts.

The problem with monitoring over 1000 servers is that you really do not
want anything that does mostly polling.  Yea you can poll for things
like services, icmp, etc.  But you do not want to poll for things like
disk usage, temp, anything internal.  In those cases you need to install
an agent that can report back via SNMP when those problems exists.  I'm
not aware of any OSS products that have an SNMP agent piece that can be
installed on a Linux, Sun, Windows, etc server.