[ale] Best processor for MythTV?

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:35:05 EDT 2006

Oops! clearly I would have used different wording in my previous e-mail
regarding HD and Myth had I read Jesse e-mail about selling HD Frontends. I
started writing my post, then got called away, only to return and finish the
post about two hours after I had begun. Jesse's post hit the board in the
interim. Clearly I intended to help Charles, not rail against Jesse's
product.

Any Frontend (HD or SD) that worked straight out of the box would be worth
its weight in gold!

I have been trying HD OTA for quite some time, and am making progress,
but....

I get tons of "prebuffering pause" messages and also "Your system is not
capable of displaying the full framerate at 1024x768 resolution. Frames will
be skipped in order to keep the audio and video in sync."

Also despite configuring the machine to use XvMC (in the API), I don't think
the machine actually loads XvMC.  I read that that I must edit the actual
config file in order to get XvMC to work.

Also I have an AMD64 Athlon 3200+ and a gig of ram, but still can't play
analog programing without jitters -- using a PVR-150.

Clearly I have a lot to work on before my machine will past the wife test.

Adding to my noobie frustration are the Red Herrings in the MythTV world.
For example -- when in Mythtv-setup -- one should NOT select the pcHDTV
HD3000 card setting even if they plan to use a pcHDTV HD3000. I can't help
but wonder what card actually uses the pcHDTV HD3000 setting then?

Come to think of it a preconfigured Frontend might be worth twice its weight
in gold.

I am learning a lot of Linux though, and aside from accidentally insulting
those that could help me, I've enjoyed the project.