[ale] First post

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue May 16 19:26:31 EDT 2006

Umm, I have gone completely WITHOUT a swap partition before and been
just fine. Generally, you want at least as much swap space as you have
RAM; but it is recommend to use twice as much swap as RAM. I used to
say 128MB is enough (once you have exceeded that amount in RAM), but
that was when hard drive space was a premium for me. Now, I use at
least as much swap as RAM if not twice that much.

I think you might be confusing a swap partition with /tmp. Yes,
Mozilla/Firefox downloads everything to /tmp before moving it to the
location you want to save it to. At least, it used to. Now it uses a
.part file in the specified location. /swap does not exist. swap is a
literal partition and is not something you can browse as part of your
filesystem.