[ale] Gotta bea FAQ: Give ordinary users R/W/X access to VFAT partition

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun May 14 08:55:59 EDT 2006

Paul Cartwright wrote:

>On Sun May 14 2006 8:27 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>>I'm running XP & SUSE 10.0 but my C drive is NTFS:
>>>/dev/hda2            /windows/C           ntfs
>>>ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
>>>

>>>is yours NTFS??
>>>

>>You do know that you don't want to attempt to write to NTFS from
>>Linux right?
>>

>right, that's why I was asking.
>I always thought the default partition for XP was NTFS, or FAT. I'm not
>familiar with VFAT. Is there a way to change NTFS to VFAT?

I made it vfat when I installed XP.  I know better than to try to write
to NTFS.  I backup anything important on XP and can reinstall anytime,
so I'm not too concerned about using VFAT.  I rarely boot XP any more,
just to run a couple of small apps that I don't have adequate
replacement for on Linux.

Jim.