[ale] Gotta bea FAQ: Give ordinary users R/W/X access to VFAT partition

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Sat May 13 22:36:21 EDT 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 20:27, John Mills wrote:
|  How can I modify the permissions so an ordinary Linux user can
| thrash away in the VFAT partition?

I have three small (512 mb) FAT partitions on my drive to I can
easily swap data between the Win98 partition and the Linux side.
They each have an entry in /etc/fstab and each is mounted on boot.
Ownership for all three is set for user: nobody; Group: users. Both
the owner and the group "can view and modify content."
The fstab lines look like this:

/dev/hda8	/mnt/d-drive	vfat
nosuid,nodev,noexec,gid=users,uid=nobody,quiet,umask=2 0 0

HTH

Sean