[ale] on-line storage

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri May 12 09:10:20 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert Story wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:15:03 -0400 Jim wrote:
> > JP> On a similar note.. anybody have any good recommendations for remote
> > JP> on-line backup (approx 12GB).
> >
> > Sure - make a local copy to a disk/NAS, then send it to a friend/relative. The
> > disk works if they're computer savy, and the NAS is better if they aren't. You
> > may also have to spring for a hub/multi-port router for the NAS case.
>
> I guess I wasn't clear enough, although I thought my GMail hint should
> of hit home.  ;-)
>
> I want to push files (via rsync over ssh, or other comparable means) to
> a remote system in a robust secure datacenter.  A distributed system (a
> bit here, a bit there) would be a plus as that lessens the concern for
> local security.

I still recommend rdiff-backup as the software in your solution.
Maybe you could post on their list to see if anyone is selling/renting
high quality rdiff-backup space on a server.  If not, you've got
yourself a business model.

FYI: rdiff-backup is fairly easy to install in Linux.  IIRC requires
python, ssh, librsync.  It is included in SUSE 10.0 at a mimimum, not
sure about other distro's.

http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/rdiff-backup.html

Greg
--