[ale] Recommendation for off-line storage?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 11 18:38:57 EDT 2006

Robert Story wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:29:47 -0400 Geoffrey wrote:
> G> Okay, my post was tongue in cheek, but if you want to go this route, how
> G> long do you think it would take to burn the 29 dual layer disks (400Gb)
> G> or the 58 single layer disks?  It's not even remotely a possibility.
> G>
> G> > Of course, my slant here is of a home user w/too much data. If he's
> G> > talking corporate bucks, sure, spring for a fancy tape drive.
> G>
> G> Regardless, the time it would take to burn the disks would, in the long
> G> run, justify the cost of different hardware.
>
> I beg to differ. It's a classic case of time vs cost. 400GB to 100 4GB
> discs, assuming 3/day (1 before work, 1 after, 1 before before bed time),
> would take a little over a month. Less if you can do more than 3 on the
> weekend and/or train the wife to check the burner a few times per day. Even
> less if you have more than 1 burner.
>
> The cost of a tape drive (800GB w/compression) was $4k. In my house, that's
> not a justified cost against 5 minutes x 3 per day. Again, home use. (Married
> with children, didn't make millions during the dot-com bubble.)

You apparently haven't burned a 7gig dvd lately, it's going to take you
more then 5 minutes per.

We were talking in a business environment if I recall.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin