[ale] Recommendation for off-line storage?

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Thu May 11 15:34:49 EDT 2006

Robert Story wrote:
> 800GB was the tape capacity - he said he had 400GB. So, even if it was single
> layer discs (4GB), a 100 pack can be had for less than the cost of one of the
> 800GB tapes. Eliminate the cost of the very expensive high-end tape drive,
> and any concerns of having to track down another should it fail (one of my big
> complaints about tape drives and hardware raid controllers).
>
> Of course, my slant here is of a home user w/too much data. If he's talking
> corporate bucks, sure, spring for a fancy tape drive.

I backed up ~250G of data onto DVDs a few weeks ago.

Well, first I downloaded from the server to a USB2.0 drive.  then i made
  dirs for each disc and symlinked the X files that would fit onto a
disc into the directory.  then burned them.  at about 10m apiece on the
smaller ones, 30m on the really full ones with a lotta files ...

took freakin' forever.  but they don't want to spring for tape
drives/libraries b/c "it's on a raid5 system, why do we need backups" ...

took forever, and i got a lotta grief over spending all that time on
backing things up, but at least now i have a backup that's not on the
rack with the original :o

--attriel