[ale] Recommendation for off-line storage?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 11 08:38:42 EDT 2006

Brian Pitts wrote:
> Allan Metts <ametts2 at ...> writes:
>> I have several hundred Gigabytes of data that's in my way.  I need to keep it,
> but I don't need regular access to
>> it.  More data is coming in now that will eventually need the same treatment.
>>

> If you don't need to do this often, maybe an enclosure
> like http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/storage_device/phc_500bc.html would
> suffice. You could plug it into a NSLU2 (running http://www.slug-firmware.net/
> of course) to make it network accessible.

Costco used to have 500g external usb/firewire Maxtor drives. I don't
see them on their website anymore.  They do have a SimpleTech 500Gb usb
2.0 drive for $289.  3 year warranty.

I've got three of the Maxtor drives, they work fine with Linux, both
firewire and usb.  Seems the SimpleTech is only usb though.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin