[ale] OT: AMD Athlon 64

Jesse M. Holmes jesse at jessemholmes.net
Sat May 6 12:02:48 EDT 2006

What about processing speed? I have a 1.8Ghz here at home. That means it
should be twice as fast a 900Mhz processor, and six times as fast as the
computer I had before it. AMD's dual cores start at 1.8 and go to 2.6.
While 2.6 is a big jump from 1.8, it's not double. A 1.8 should be able
to run anything you would be doing at home unless you're a homegrown
nuclear physicist. So why do people spend tons more on faster processors
if their biggest challenge of the day is Microsoft Office and Half Life
2? Do they receive any noticeable benefits, or is it all part of that
new car syndrome?

Jesse M. Holmes