[ale] The ale-unempoyed mailing list (was: Looking for employment)

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Mar 31 16:16:28 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 02:50:38PM -0500, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 14:34 -0500, Fulton Green wrote:
> > Actually, it seems that the ALE unemployed list has had some policy
> > changes recently.  For starters, the list is now moderated, and not
> > very frequently at that.  Also, the list moderator has expressed a
> > desire to disallow re'sume' postings.  I don't know if that would also
> > bar a posting containing a link to one's re'sume'.
>
> Just a formal comment regarding the limitation of resume posting.
>
> Why? :) I think finding jobs these days is difficult so adding new
> features and not reducing them would make more sense.

I think in the case of posting actual re'sume' files, attachments can
get unwieldly.  I don't even know if they get archived, and I think that
at least a few people on the ALE list (some of which would also be on the
"unemployed", or whatever it gets called in the future, list) don't like
receiving attachments.

As far as inline text or HTML, that might be a better way to go.  But I
don't know if the motivation lies with trying to keep message sizes
manageable or if there is some other concern about job seekers posting
re'sume' content, or just a link to a re'sume', or even simply an
announcement regarding their availability for employment.

Also, another demotivator for opening that list up to job seekers would be
the possibility of getting crapflooded by, for example, every single Joe
TechEd looking for their first gig after getting that fresh new MSCE /
CNE / whathaveyou cert.

> Is this open for discussion?

Since this is a community-driven resource, I would think it is, and that's
why I'm discussing it.  However, the actual physical resources themselves
(hardware, bandwidth, etc.) are owned by Chris Farris (look for his addy
at the bottom of www period chrisfarris period com).

When he announced the new policy changes and proposals to the "unemployed"
list a few days ago, he indicated that he would take feedback and even
post any relevant responses (which I guess would exclude "flamebait" and
such) back to that list.  However, that was a few days ago, and I haven't
seen my thoughts posted back nor a rejection notice.  I wouldn't be
surprised if he's suffering a "beat-down" by his weekday workload, but I'd
be surprised if I didn't see some kind of response over the weekend.

If the "no job seekers" policy sticks, you might want to start building
your LinkedIn network. Now.  Actually, that's a good idea regardless.

And there you have it.