[ale] OT: Mac question

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 15:01:56 EST 2006

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't want to install any software in this case.

I am making dd copy of the boot drive to an externally connected usb
drive and I just wanted to be able to check the progress by doing an
ls on the target.

It has been 3 1/2 hours now which seems way too slow.  I think I'm
going to cntrl-C the job.

Then boot the Mac into Firewire target mode and do my work from a
Linux box with a firewire connection.

Greg

On 3/31/06, Jerald Sheets <jsheets at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is no virtual desktop functionality in OSX by default, however
> I use "Desktop Manager" http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/ to acheive
> virtual desktops in OSX.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Jerald M. Sheets jr.
> Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
> The Weather Channel Interactive
> 404.293.8762
>

> On Mar 31, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Robert Story wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:05:18 -0500 Greg wrote:
> > GF> Does anyone know how to get to an alternate screen like alt-F2
> > does with
> > GF> linux?
> >
> > I'm 98% sure that OS X doesn't support multiple consoles...

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century