[ale] inode change after vi a file ?

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Thu Mar 30 15:40:28 EST 2006

Jerry Yu wrote:
> without agressive inode recycling, one'd run out of inodes at some
> point too ...
> it may be a feature for VIM, can it be turned off  by some magic
> switch?  I see it as a bug personally. wonder whether/how oowriter and
> nano do reliable atomic writes. also wonder how vi on Solaris does it.

This feature is controlled by the 'backupcopy' or 'bkc' setting.  I
suspect your present setting is "auto", so vim tries to rename the
original file to a backup name, write the data to a new file, then
unlink the original file.  What you are asking for is obtained with the
"yes" setting:

    :set bkc=yes

For more details, see ":help backupcopy" in vim.

--Joe