[ale] upcoming mythtv presentation: Jesse needs a topic

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Mar 29 15:23:42 EST 2006

Steve Hamlin wrote:
> Jesse,
>
> Just a few thoughts - I think you can get an hour out of the below  :)
>
> MythTV questions I've run across in my not-too-uncommon setup (I
> think).
>
> I'll plug my questions first (A), then other generic topics (B-F)
>
> --- --- ---
>
> (A)  Combining a Myth installation with a normal desktop, on multiple
> screens:

<snip things that relate to that>

> --- --- ---

The above is beyond the scope of things I do on a regular basis. It's a cool
idea. But I have no advice as I've never tried running more than one video
card per machine.

[...]

> (C)  Tuner card selection: "Audience, just get a Hauppauge PVR-xx0, and
> see the IVTV driver page for details".  Or hardware vs. software
> encoding, performance requirements,.

I can touch on this.

> (D) Video card selection:  driver availability, hardware acceleration,
> XvMC, TV Out, mutlihead (DVI-I/D, Dsub)

Sounds good.

> (E) Brief explanation of how to take a default MythTV install (with
> intergrated front/backend) and either add a frontend, or separate the
> front/backend.  MySQL network access config changes, MythTV tweaks,
> NFS/SMB issues?, wireless performance

Good topic. The wireless issue is particularly interesting, especially
as it relates to HDTV streaming.

[...]

> (G)  Some background on MythGame (as I know nothing).  How to get the
> ROMs, how to get joystick up in X and how this works with the mouse,
> what kind of joystick to get.

I'll be happy to talk about that.

> (H)  Filesystem selection and configuration:
>  (1) I did a bit of research on filesystem selection for a Myth box, and
> it seems to make a huge difference in performance because Myth is often
> bound by multi-GB file read, write and DELETE performance.
>  (2) Hints you may have for new Myth users:  XFS vs JFS vs. ext3 vs.
> Reiser(no!); mkfs.XXX options for best performance

I probably won't talk about this, as I run Reiserfs on my system. Probably
not the best choice for speed, but it's ultra reliable, even with a very
full filesystem. I've heard that XFS can be fragile, especially with near
full filesystems.

My MythTV box doubles as a maildir based mail server, so perhaps that's why
I chose reiserfs in the first place. :)

>  (3) Thoughts about simple partitioning vs. LVM

Yeah, I can touch on that.

> (I)  Video formats, transcoding, commercial skipping, DVD/VCDs.   (good
> article in the recent Linux Journal featuring MythTV about how to create
> DVD menus in linux)

This is an excellent topic too.

All very good suggestions. Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks!