[ale] Linux job

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 13:47:51 EST 2006

Rev. Johnny Healey wrote:

> I thought UNIX and Windows were considered time-sharing.  They allow
> multiple users/services to use the system at the same time, but don't
> offer the same performance guarantees that a RTOS provides.

You're close.  "Time sharing" is a legacy term that refers to the idea
of multiple users running processes on the same computer at the same
time with no real sense of the other users' presence.  This was an
important conceptual leap from one computer per team of people all
working on the same task.  The term has fallen into disuse but is closer
in concept to "cooperative multitasking" in which the processes must
relinquish control without the use of a master scheduling mechanism.

UNIX, WinNT and derivatives, VMS, and Linux are all "pre-emptive
multitasking;" the operating system handles the scheduling.  Novell
Netware, old MacOS, and old Windows were CM OSses.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_multitasking.

Jeff