[ale] upcoming mythtv presentation: Jesse needs a topic

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Mar 29 10:56:09 EST 2006

Hello ALE folks,

This is my first time on this list, though I was at
the previous "State of the Tivo" meeting. I'll be heading
down to ALE from Chattanooga with Mike Harrison on
the 13th for a MythTV presentation.

Mike is the primary presenter, and I'm currently unsure
what role I'll have in the meeting, but I'd be
happy to give a short presentation (15 - 30 minutes?).

I've been using MythTV since August 2005 and I currently
run a dedicated, unified Front/Backend as well as a
separate part-time Frontend on a desktop machine in my
living room. The primary MythTV focus of my home system
has been general WAF:
     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/WAF

And MythGame support for my son. I run Wireless XBox
controllers and a number of emulators.

I'm also very interested in low power embedded systems
and XvMC, so I kick-started the informative XvMC wiki page:
     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

I've written a few minor patches for the ProjectGrayhem
and MythCenter themes (normal and -wide) and I wrote a
lot of early patch code for various supporting systems
(including patches to the xpad kernel module and
hid-core.c) when I was originally setting up MythGame
0.18.1 on my home system (most of which is unnecessary
these days with MythTV 0.19), but I haven't coded anything
substantial for MythTV itself - yet.

I've recently started working with HDTV, though our QAM
channel selection in Cleveland, TN is rather pathetic
(only 4 channels, and most are just local SDTV channels
wrapped in 720p):
     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/192640#192640

And I have experience with RF/Cable inputs as well as
Dish Network and IR Blaster systems. Input/ouput hardware
I own include:

- PVR 350 (pci)
- Plextor ConvertX M402U (usb)
- AverTV HD A180 (pci)
- Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (agp)
- Intel i810 chipset (integrated with motherboard)
- ATI Radeon Mobility LY (integrated with motherboard)

I plan to bring my system so I can demonstrate SD/HDTV
playback, DVD playback, DVD burning, MythMusic, MythGame
with wireless controllers, and MythWeb. I also have
Asterisk experience and might be able to rig up a
MythPhone demo, but no promises. My current system runs
Gentoo and I also have past experience with KnoppMyth.

I've read one of the MythTV threads on this list from
earlier in the month and you all seem like an
intelligent and capable group, so I don't want to tell
you what you already know. Given my experience above,
what would you all like to hear about? Or would you
simply prefer to see a demonstration of my system?

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at guardiani.us