[ale] OT: music sites?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Mar 29 08:33:35 EST 2006

Jim Philips wrote:

<snip>

> As a 53-year old music fan, I don't buy all of this "things ain't what they
> used to be" talk. If you shop around and check some of the more active music
> blogs on the Net, you can find lots of good music out there being made right
> here in the 21st century

Oh, I do that.  Maybe I should have been more specific, when I talk
about current music, I'm primarily talking about that which you can walk
into a cd store and purchase. There's very little 'mainstream' music
being produced out there that's worth buying, much less downloading for
free.  On the other hand I've got over 400 lps, all of which were
purchased at least 20 years ago, most likely 30 years or older.  I'd say
80% of those would have been considered mainstream at the time.  I've
got a similar number of cds and would estimate that maybe 60% of those
are what one would consider mainstream.  Of those that would be consider
mainstream, virtually none were produced in the last 20 years.

I'm a big fan of smaller bands.  I've got cds and lps by bands I'm sure
many folks have never heard of:

Trout Fishing in America, Louisiana Le' roux, A-train, Silicon Teens,
The New South Jazz Ensemble, Willis, Carlin and Quinn, Tamarac, Dan
Sachs (teaches out at KSU!)

As well as some more well known, but not exactly mainstream folks like:

Leo Kottke, Mike Oldfield, Brian Eno, Al DiMeola, George Winston, Liz
Story, Shadowfax, Chanticleer..

My problem is, trying to find older tunes, particularly the one hit
wonders like, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Spirit in the Sky...

It makes no sense to purchase a whole album when you want a single tune
on that album.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin