[ale] Q: How to get minimal bloat while unpacking tarball?

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Mar 28 16:25:26 EST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 3:20 PM, Tony Carter wrote:

>> Is there a way to incrementally unpack an archive so the old
>> contents'
>> space is recovered along the way, or does it sound like
>> there's some other problem here?
>>
>> TIA.
>
> Just a guess..
> I think tar filters the tarball through gunzip first and then works
> off the
> .tar file. Will the uncompressed tarball on the usb? You might want
> to try
> working from it.

tar (like all good *NIX programs :) reads from a pipe.  Behind the
scenes it's basically running gzcat and reading the output of that
pipe.  You can achieve the same thing the way we used to unpack
compressed tarballs ( uphill both ways in the snow, of course) before
the newfangled GNU people put an option into for it:

gunzip < foo.tar.gz | tar xvf -

or

gzcat foo.tar.gz | tar xvf -

Sounds to me like something else is afoot.