[ale] covad VoIP down...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Mar 28 08:31:08 EST 2006

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
>
>> I've lived in Buford since 1999.  Not one outage on POTs.  I'm not
>> against VOIP.  I'm against VOIP as a primary means of communication.   I
>>

> I sort-of agree with that argument.  I looked into VoIP as a primary
> means of communication with my home service, and am using it as such,
> but not without backup, because at present, I have no redundancy setup.

I agree with having the redundancy.  For me, having 3 cell phones in the
house is enough redundancy for me.

I don't have experiences with other voip providers, but Vonage makes it
very easy.  You can forward calls to another number if your vonage line
is unavailable.  You have voicemail which can also send you an email
when you have a message.  I have Vonage send these messages to my cell
phone, so if you leave me a message, I know it anywhere I'm at.
Further, I've got my modem set up such that any time I get a call, the
caller id info is sent to my cell phone as well.  Talk about redundancy.
  Now this is all for my work #.

I will be going that route with my home number as well.  I just wish I
could get bare copper, but it's not available yet.  Still, with
Bellsucks cheapest landline, I can still save money by going with a
vonage line for my home phone, so I'll be going that route shortly
anyway.  With all the addons (callerid...) to my current landline, I'm
paying around $54/month.  That's with no LD.  I can go with the $17
BellSuck solution (about $20 after all the misc. charges) and $14.99
($16.94 after misc. charges) that's saving me almost $20 a month, and I
get 500 anywhere minutes which includes LD.

I've exceeded my current 500 minutes on my business line once and I use
it to make all my LD calls.  For another $10 a month I can get unlimited
calling to the US.  I'm still saving money over Bellsuck then.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin