[ale] Can only login as root user

Alan Stewart aeswx at uga.edu
Sun Mar 26 11:14:08 EST 2006

Hi,

        I am relatively new to Linux--just set up a dual boot
machine using Fedora-4.  I realized I needed the gcc package
after the system install.  I pulled it down for install and
updated some other packages as well.  After that, I could only
login as the root user.  I tried creating new users, changing
passwords on the existing users, and still I get
'Authorization Failure' and cannot login as any user but root.
 I have checked /etc to look for the nologin.txt file, but it
does not exist, so it is not that.  Anyone see this problem
before or know how to approach resolving it?

Thanks,..Alan

Alan E. Stewart, Ph. D.
Associate Professor
The University of Georgia
Department of Counseling & Human Development
402 Aderhold Hall
Athens, Georgia 30602-7142

Vox: 706.542.1263
Fax: 706.542.4130