[ale] OT: music sites?

joh6nn at hotpop.com joh6nn at hotpop.com
Sun Mar 26 00:17:21 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:
> William Bagwell wrote:
>> On Saturday 25 March 2006 12:16 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> snips
>>> A lot of this stuff I've got on LP's
>> Usenet.
>>
>> Why pay *again* for what you already own?
>
> I know.  Problem is, I don't know the legality of downloading something
> for free that I already have on lp or cd.  That is, I can't walk into a
> cd store and walk out with a copy of a cd I already have.
>
> I know, my ethics are getting in my way of convenience, but that's a
> good thing.

erm, IANAL, so i'm probably not getting this 100%, but the reason you
couldn't walk into a store and grab a copy of a CD that you've already
purchased, is because what is happening when you buy a CD is that you're
purchasing a license to the music, and you get some extra stuff with it,
like a jewel case, and album cover, just as a side benefit.  if you
walked into a store and grabbed a second CD, that'd be a second license
that you were leaving with: the CD itself is mostly irrelevant.  it's
simply the medium which the music is being distributed on.

as someone pointed out early, this is most likely grey area; i doubt
that this has ever been tested in court.

-joh6nn