[ale] OT: music sites?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Mar 25 09:28:28 EST 2006

joh6nn at hotpop.com wrote:
> William Bagwell wrote:
>> On Saturday 25 March 2006 12:16 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> snips
>>> A lot of this stuff I've got on LP's
>> Usenet.
>>
>> Why pay *again* for what you already own?
>
> a better than good point; the source is irrelevant in this case, since
> you've already paid for your license.

Is it though?  I mean, I really don't know how the law looks at this.
Seems to me the RIAA (and MPAA) are more likely to have you in chains
and ask questions later.

I don't know of any sites that provide free music by way of verifying
you've already purchased it. IANALTG, but I don't even want to approach
the line of illegality, much less tip toe across and back for the sake
of philosophical principles.

 From that perspective, anyone know where one might take an older (say
20+ years) turntable for maintenance?  It paid around $400 back then, so
I'd expect it's worth the effort.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin