[ale] WAS RE: suddenly finding computer 'seized-up', NOW RAID with SATA Drives

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Fri Mar 24 18:18:24 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 06:08:43 -0500 Dan wrote:
DL> What I'm wondering is if
DL> there is any implementation that could be used to create a software RAID 5,
DL> or would one have to purchase a SATA RAID controller card to do this?

Most, if not all, of the current Linux distros will support software RAID. You
don't need any kind of special controller. I have successfully run software
RAID 5 using a mix of on-board IDE controller, PCI soft-RAID IDE controller
and PCI soft-RAID SATA controller.

If you want speed, get a hardware controller. If you just want RAID, stuff as
many controller/drives as you can in a box, and use software RAID.