[ale] simple piping

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri Mar 24 15:19:21 EST 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Emil Man wrote:

> having an issue with simple piping here.. hehe.. looked all arround
> google,
> I cannot find the answer :(
>
> Could someone tell me how to pipe the output of an ls command into
> cat, and
> then grep the results?

You probably can't find the answer because that's a really
nonsensical thing to do.  Just pipe the output straight to grep in
the first place; there's no need for cat at all.

ls | grep ...

Of course you might want to step back and think about solving things
with shell metacharacters first rather than resorting to grep.