[ale] Samba/XP Pro help (OT?)

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 15:12:04 EST 2006

I'm having a problem with Samba and Windows XP Pro.

My server is running Xandros OCE 3.  I like Xandros for SAMBA administration
because it makes sharing folders and printers very easy for someone like me
who prefers to edit configuration files as little as possible.  I'm not
opposed to the CLI, but I'd rather not understand everything that's going on
behind the scenes if something can "just work."

The Xandros box has an Epson Stylus CX3200 all-in-one and a HP LaserJet 5P
connected to it.  I have shared both printers and the directory where
scanned images are stored.  I am able to map the directory on my personal
laptops which are running XP Home.  I can also connect to the printers from
those laptops.  Before I installed the HP I was able to print to the Epson
from my work laptop which is running XP Pro.  Now that I have installed the
HP I can no longer "see" the server from my work laptop.  I do not believe I
made any additional changes at the time that I installed the printer,
although I have tried tweaking smb.conf since then.

I've followed the instructions found at
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/xpsambalog.htm, but when I go to "My
Network Places" I do not see WORKGROUP in Microsoft Windows Network.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh Kite