[ale] WAS RE: suddenly finding computer 'seized-up', NOW RAID with SATA Drives

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 24 06:08:43 EST 2006

I've had similar experiences with several manufacturers drives in the past,
Having to return drives to Seagate, Maxtor, and WD for RMS during warranty,
and having to jump through all kinds of hoops to get them replaced. Dealing
with WD was the least painful, but I still had to be without the drives
during that process.

The only ones that I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a problem with
were Hitachi drives I've owned. I have had (so far) very similar luck with
some Samsung drives that I purchased about 2 years ago. So far, they are
100% reliable.

In December of last year, I had a WD 320GB SATA drive that arrived DOA and
had to be RMA'ed. Fortunately, it was a drive I had purchased in a bundle of
parts to build 6 computers, and I had time to deal with the RMA process
before I had to deliver the computers.

This brings up something that I've been thinking about, and that is that due
to the densities (as you mentioned), we seem to be getting less reliable
drives in the long term, which makes me have to consider going to a higher
level RAID just for my own desktop and personal use. I'm no super geek, but
I have a fair amount of experience in building, repairing, and managing PCs.
I guess that's what really got me interested in LINUX to begin with. I
couldn't get a high reliability OS from MickeyStinks.

At any rate, I have been experimenting with several flavors of Linux over
the last couple of years, and have gotten fairly comfortable with Debian
based offerings for desktop use. I have had good experiences with using the
Ubuntu distro, and currently have one desktop running Ubuntu, and one
running Kubuntu. I'm still using Centos 4.X on my server, and will most
likely stay with that unless something comes along that just blows my socks
off.

In current Linux distros, particularly the Debian based ones, has anyone
done any experimenting with implementing a RAID 5 using SATA drives and an
onboard RAID controller from NVIDIA? All of my current desktop boxes have
AMD 64 processors, and each of the motherboards has an on board NVIDIA RAID
controller which can be setup as a RAID 0 or 1. What I'm wondering is if
there is any implementation that could be used to create a software RAID 5,
or would one have to purchase a SATA RAID controller card to do this? If
this is the case, can anyone recommend a RAID controller that would be a)
reliable, and b) inexpensive enough to use in a desktop computer.

Dan