[ale] suddenly finding computer 'seized-up'....ATTN:DowHurst-2

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Mar 23 22:18:44 EST 2006

Dan Lambert wrote:
> I've been using WD drives almost exclusively for a while now.
>
> It's really weird, but I've never owned a Seagate drive that lived linger
> than about 6 months. I won't waste my money on them anymore. I used to buy a
> lot of Maxtor drives, but now Seagate has bought them. I doubt I'll buy any
> more Maxtors.

Everyone has a different manufacturer that they love to hate :).  I have
only (personally) owned 1 Maxtor drive in the last 5+ years.  I suppose
that means I have a 100% failure rate on their drives :p.  The Maxtor
drive is only a 1 year warranty drive, it is now out of warranty.

The last 6 drives in my primary desktop have been Western Digital, all
with 3 year warranties.  The pair that are in there now are 160s (the
Maxtor drive that I am afraid of is in there too, and is a 160).  One of
those two drives failed in the first 6 months.  All 3 have been fine
ever since.

Before these 2 WD drives, I had 4 40 GB 7200 RPM WD drives.  They all
lasted until about 2-3 months before the 3 year warranty was up, then 3
started giving out within weeks of each other.  I bought that Maxtor 160
as temporary storage until I could RMA the 40s.

The RMAed 40s died within 6 months.  I hear Seagate has a 5 year
warranty now.  I don't think I care, because I don't want to run 3+ year
old refurb drives after that experience :).

If anyone is still interested in my primary desktop machine's history...
 Before the WD drives I had a pair of wonderful 13 GB 7200 RPM IBM
drives.  IBM made awesome drives before the infamous DeathStar drives.
I gave those away to a friend of mine, who already had a pair that
matched.  I know he got quite a bit of life out of them.

I think it is the platter densities that are killing us :(.  At least
drives are cheap and RAID is cheap, though.

Pat