[ale] suddenly finding computer 'seized-up'....ATTN:DowHurst-2

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 15:01:28 EST 2006

Just out of curiousity, have you tried a different drive cable?  I have seen
low level errors before that went away after replacing the cables,
specifically round ide cables.

Benjie

On 3/23/06, Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com> wrote:

> Courtney Thomas wrote:
> > Jeff,
> >
> > The error messages I'm getting are:
> >
> > WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=########
> >
> > repeated many time w/different ########s.
> >
> > All I did was reconnect the drive to the new card.
>
> The different numbers tell you which sector the error is occurring at.
>
> You really should never see these, because modern drives remap bad
> sectors to unused space (only during writes, though).  If you are seeing
> disk errors you may have already used up all the extra remapping space.
> It is probably time to RMA that drive :(
>
> Pat

Better to have a president who makes love instead of war.  Even better if he
understands the difference between the two.