[ale] suddenly finding computer 'seized-up'....ATTN:DowHurst

Courtney Thomas cc.thomas at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 09:45:57 EST 2006

Dow,

Thank you so much for your attention with this problem.

I'll practice the described remote access, hopefully, before the problem
recurs. This is a skill I obviously should've obtained long ago.

Re: seizure

1-I've used "xset s on" for years for my 'screensaver' which just
darkens the screen, so I don't think that's "it".

2-I'm not aware that I'm using either RTS/CTS or XON/XOFF, but I guess
somewhere it's configured, but I don't know where. I dialup/logon to the
web with a script which has no mention of this. It's a Hayes 56K modem
whose speed is set to 115200 in the script. But I've also used this
script for years without system seizure, so conclude it's probably not
that either.

3-After a cold boot this morn, I DID get the following error multiple
times with different LBA #s:

ad4:FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51 <READY,DSC,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED>
dma=0x06 LBA=44xxxxx

I got a lot of LBA=44xxxxx, the xxxxx s being different numbers.

After not getting an error-free boot, I fsck'd the ad4 partitions,
rebooted and all seemed OK.

4-Regarding the FreeBSD recommendation of increasing the cp4ticks from 4
to 40, I assume that after this is done, recompilation of what,... the
entire kernel,... is necessary to implement the change ?

5-and finally,... how can I tweak my modem settings, which I assume
pertains to the rts/cts xon/xoff configuration, if that's the problem ?

Most appreciatively,

Courtney