[ale] OCFS2

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 13:36:45 EST 2006

I perhaps should have followed the situation more closely in the past
couple-odd years, but you're alluding to a level of fault tolerance
that's not easy to hit, at least not at Free Software prices.

Both the operating system and the app have to be able to cooperate with
such a scheme - that's where the trouble comes in.  In c. 2000,
TurboLinux' own clustering white papers proposed using Oracle on Solaris
for such.  MS SQL Server on the appropriate "edition" of Win2K5 is
probably another option; IIRC, it uses a main/auxiliary model for
service failover.  I doubt if either scheme will operate without some
sort of burp on failover, even if all that's felt is a delay.

Having more than one OS instance access the same disks at once is one of
the things that VMS had game on 20 years ago, and it's still available
although running it in practice seems to be like threading a needle with
an ever-shrinking eye.