[ale] Loading kernel modules at boot

Stephen Cristol stephen at bee.net
Sun Mar 19 18:23:04 EST 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Joe Knapka wrote:
> Right, becaue the entries in modprobe.conf don't cause the
> kernel to do anything at boot time. They tell the kernel
> what module to load when something tries to use the device.
>
> In general, there's no need to load modules at boot time.
> If modules.conf (or modprobe.conf in this case, I guess)
> is set up correctly, the kernel will automagically figure
> out what modules need to be loaded, and load them as needed.

Joe,

That seemed to be what the man page for "modprobe.conf" was saying,
but here's what happens when I try to do this:

[sc ~]$ sudo /sbin/service condor start
Mounting (starting) webdavfs: fusermount: failed to open /dev/fuse:
No such file or directory
                                                            [FAILED]
[sc ~]$ sudo /sbin/modprobe fuse
[sc ~]$ sudo /sbin/service condor start
Mounting (starting) webdavfs:                              [  OK  ]
[sc ~]$

"condor" is a service that I have written. It works nicely once the
fuse module has been loaded. So far, that has required manually using
modprobe.

Other thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,