[ale] unusual problem with nic

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:45:38 EST 2006

A lot of the rtl8xxx based nic's don't have any physical buffers ( that's
what makes them so cheap!)  When you move a lot of data across them they can
and do begin to choke.  I have found this to be true mostly with onboard
nics,  and have never personally seen it happen with add-in cards ( maybe
they have added buffers?)  I think the windows drivers use system ram to
buffer the nics, but as far as I can tell the linux modules don't.

On 3/18/06, Joe Knapka <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> Geoffrey wrote:
> > Geoffrey wrote:
> >
> >>I'm having an unusual problem with a compaq computer.  Just installed
> >>SuSE 10.0 and all went well, except when it attempted to do the online
> >>update and get latest release notes.  Figured I'd work on that after the
> >>full install.
> >

> > More info on this problem.  This is a dual boot box and the nic works
> > fine under XP.
>
> What driver is it loading under Linux? IIRC there are
> several drivers for the RTL8xxx cards, some of which
> really blow.  I've had success using the 8139too
> driver; my firewall has 3 8139-based cards, which all
> work fine.
>
> -- JK

Better to have a president who makes love instead of war.  Even better if he
understands the difference between the two.