[ale] OT: Free Showing of "Invisible Ballots", Thursday, 3/16, 7:00pm, UUCA

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Mar 18 05:37:51 EST 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 22:02, Sid Lane wrote:
> ? for those who've seen this:
>
> is it a serious, objective discussion of current systems and possible
> solutions or is it just a Michael Moore-ish anti-Diebold/Bush rant? not
> defending either (or Moore for that matter), just don't want to waste
> money/time on something like that (that's what /.'s for)

The Invisible Ballots documentary is a fact founded and generally objective
look at the voting system issues. It features detailed considerations of the
voting processes and the challenges of implementing computer voting from
several top flight computer scientists who have studied the problems
extensively. A lot of their points also address the proprietary secrecy,
incestuous organizations and unavoidable conflicts of interest that permeate
the testing and certification processes.

A couple of the segments also speak to issues surrounding the ethics and
competence of the three voting machine vendors who currently monopolize the
market, two of which are run by one pair of brothers. These are, of course,
very real areas of concern that have arisen from the privatization of our
public election processes --  the producers and promoters of Zero Evidence
elections are commanding that we must trust these companies with every aspect
of our right to vote (commanding being the accurate word since the voters are
never given a choice about the installation of the black box, Zero Evidence
election systems).

On the ethics and competence issues, Diebold is the primary focus not only
because it is the largest vendor, but because evidence is abundant that
serious investigation of Diebold is called. A lot of that evidence of
incompetence is found in the fact that they left every component of their
entire system's software suite, inclucing CVS data, available on an anonynous
FTP site, where it was stumbled upon, downloaded, examined and found to be
severely flawed code. There were also a couple of gigs worth of Diebold
internal memos that were leaked by a concerned patriot. Among the many
revelations there are numerous cases of Diebold illegally running
uncertified, untested software (as they did in the entire State of Georgia in
2002) and repeatedly engaging in deceptive practices like concealing major
system errors from election officials. Lastly, investigations of the history
of the Diebold Election Systems division reveal how a number of the company's
founders and cheif programmers are or were in prison for felony convictions
like embezzlement and computer fraud.

All the Diebold ethics and competence issues have additional evidence arising
from a dozen or so State law suits against the company over the past 5 years,
all of which helps to explain Maryland's 137-0 decision to dump the corporate
carpetbaggers in favor of transparent, auditable election systems.

> I'm very interested in this issue but want to stick to the constructive.

Invisible Ballots has no narration, interviewer questions or cutaways. It
primarily shows the various activists, election officials, computer
technicians and computer science PhD's on camera and speaking to the critical
topics. There are occassional generic cover shots of people voting or of
voting equipment, as well as computer screen shots showing things like the
Diebold memos, but these images and occasional b-roll clips are neutral in
tone and are used sparingly.

The only "commentary" is a brief introduction segment by the producer, and
that is only shown in the full length (160 min) version;  the shorter (50
min.) public presentation version has no intro or commentary.

The purpose and tone of the film is definintely constructive.

> any reviews?

I think that's a pretty complete review above. ;-)

Defenders of Democracy will help in arranging a DVD viewing of the 50 minute
Invisible Ballots program for any interested group of 8 or more registered
voters, and will also provide a representative from the group to answer
questions when practical.

The DVD is available for purchase on line using the ORDER link at:
http://InvisibleBallots.com

peace
(through transparent democracy)
aaron