[ale] What is going on with Bellsouth's smtp server?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 11:57:12 EST 2006

My company has a business dsl with a static IP from Bellsouth.

For years we've been able to use mail.bellsouth.net as our smtp server
in our e-mail clients even though our return addresses are
xxx at NorcrossGroup.com

As of some point yesterday Bellsouth's outbound smtp server appears to
be checking the return address and denying access to anybody that does
not have a xxx at bellsouth.net address.

I hope I'm wrong but that is certainly the way it is behaving?

Can anyone confirm/deny the above or provide a simple work around?

Unfortunately my company uses Goldmine for most of our e-mail clients
and they don't have a lot of configurability.

I suspect I can find anouther outbound smtp server I can use, but
bellsouth is getting to be more and more of a pain.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group