[ale] rc.local

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 17 07:07:41 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:27:10AM -0500, Terry Bailey wrote:

> What is equivalent to /etc/rc.d/rc.local in SUSE 10.0?

SUSE uses the SYSV init system instead of the Berkeley
system that has rc.local. In the SYSV init system services are
broken up into individual scripts stored in /etc/init.d. Then
links into those scripts are placed into rul level directories
/etc/rc.N where N is the run level. The linking system is used
so that inidividual services can be chosen for a run level and
so that the order of service start can be specified.

Novell has documentation on the process here:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/suselinux-adminguide/html/ch13.html

I'm using it for a discussion in my Intermediate Unix class at Clayton State.

BAJ