[ale] Webcam/capture device?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 16 15:00:00 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I would like to do the same but have different requirements.
>
> 1. I need a camera I can source.  That means buy the same thing
>    today and five years from now.  In large quantity.

Your best bet is a capture card with either rca or svideo out.  Get the
cameras with rca and you can get svideo/rca converters.

> 2. I  need to be able to interface with the camera and feed
>    the video to a remote java applet running in a browser.
>    The applet we can write ourself.

Take a look at the suite of tools that come with xawtv.  I've not played
with them in a while, but they had remote capture and streaming tools
with the xawtv app.

--
Until later, Geoffrey