[ale] OT: Free Showing of "Invisible Ballots", Thursday, 3/16, 7:00pm, UUCA

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Mar 16 07:16:53 EST 2006

If you are among the nearly unanimous majority of I.T. professionals
who share the concerns of the Electronic Frontiers Foundation (EFF.org)
about electronic vote fraud and invisible electro-chad balloting, this is an
_excellent_ documentary.  It very concisely presents the problems and
documented failures of paperless voting systems, exposes the questionable
ethics, background and business tactics of the voting machine companies,
and considers the motives behind the deceitful propaganda war being
waged by election officials and their corporate partners to blockade
implementation Voter Verified Paper Ballot solutions.

After the film, the Defenders of Democracy voting rights group will lead a
discussion on the issue and offer ideas on how YOU can help forward the
VVPB legislation that faces a critical, last chance committee hearing in the
Georgia Assembly next week.

Maybe we can get Georgia for follow Maryland's lead!  Their House of Reps.
recently voted 137-0 to immediately decommision the State's $90 million worth
of Diebold machines. They provisioned funds to use paper ballots and scanners
for the 2006 elections, and to implement Voter Verified Paper Ballots by 2008

<http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/legislation/story/0,10801,109436,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=109436>
<http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/hb0244.htm>
<http://truevotemd.org/>

===========================
	MARCH 16th at 7:00 p.m.
	thirdThursdayCINEMA

	and Film Discussion Group
	presents
	INVISIBLE BALLOTS

	One of the hallmarks of our democracy has always been free and
fair elections. That hallmark has been thrown into question since the
state of Georgia purchased electronic touch-screen voting systems.  Once
the voter presses "CAST BALLOT," that vote becomes the property of a
private company that owns the software that tallies the votes.

	Professors of computer science at Harvard, Stanford and Johns
Hopkins, along with other experts in the field, discuss the issues
involved in electronic touch-screen voting machines.   In an interesting
and compelling documentary, they reveal what voters in a democracy need
to understand about their only Voice, and suggest solutions.

	Discussion will follow, to be lead by John Fortuin, Director of
Defenders of Democracy, a non-partisan, grass-roots organization
committed to election transparency and integrity.

	UUCA Room 209
	Film begins at 7:10 p.m.
	Nosh & Refreshments table open 7:00 - 9:30
	Small Donation Requested
	770 - 491 - 6817

	Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta is located along
the I-85 north service road between N. Druid Hills and Clairmont roads.
>From N. Druid Hills go about 1/2 mile along service road and park in
UUCA parking lot on right adjacent to I-85 overpass. Enter through upper
level doors and go down left corridor to rear of building.

	http://www.invisibleballots.com/