[ale] Mythtv Build-In

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Thu Mar 16 08:46:01 EST 2006

On Thu March 16 2006 8:38 am, Cliff Free wrote:
> With certain digital cable boxes (i.e. Motorola) people have
> reverse-engineered controlling the box via the RS232 port on the
> back. Then, when using your remote through mythtv to change
> channels, the PC will change the cable box's channel for you. ?Also,
> you can use the remote from your cable box to control mythtv (if you
> know how to use the IR tools to discover the codes the remote sends
> for each button). ?Still, it's not as slickly integrated as the
> one-box solution, but it is easy to use after the set-up is done. ?A
> major advantage to mythtv and the HD3000 if you live within' the
> broadcast range is that you don't have to pay extra per month to get
> HDTV. ?That being said, I'm using Comcast's HD-DVR on the big TV,
> because I've been to lazy to set all of this up.

I've got a mess of a setup.. the DISH & my home theater are hooked
together to the TV, so I can listen to DISH using my home theater.
Then I added my VCR which needs a A/B switch to view, otherwise, when
the VCR is on, you still see the bouncing DISH logo super-imposed..
even when DISH is off, it ISN'T !

my buddy next door figured out how to hook his DISH into his PC, so he
can grab shows and save to files, not quite a DVR but he can watch TV
on his PC.
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800