[ale] OT: mourning the end of an uptime...

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 11:06:50 EST 2006

even the best configured, most redundant/fault tolerant systems eventually
go down...

yesterday our plans to celebrate four years of uptime on a Sun 1125 were
suddenly and cruely cut short.  exactly one week shy of its 4th birthday it
fell victim to server room power loss:  1st, GA Power had a nearby
transformer explode then we discovered that one of the batteries in that
room's UPS was bad (we discovered this when it exploded as well :).  the
patient was successfully revived but now has this strange ":" character in
its uptime which the windoze guys tell us is normal after rebooting and that
the ex-mainframe guys assure us will go away with time.

I know it sounds silly but I'm really bummed...  we were planning on having
a little party for it.  to put it in perspective my 3 yr-old son did not
exist (even as a parasite) when this box was last rebooted.

so now that I've adequately grieved who's top dog on uptime now?