[ale] OT: FC2 on MaxOSX

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Mar 14 13:59:32 EST 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 21:33, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 16:07 -0500, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> >         Mac OSX has  built in VM that works,
> >         but seems lagged badly.
>
> Our software runs in FC2 so I have to mimic that environment.  This VM
> seems what I need.  Too bad VMplayer will not work on OSX.

If MacOSeX has ever had a "built in" VM capable of running as a Linux system,
then this is the first I've ever heard of it and I would welcome more
information.

I'm thinking there is confusion here because of the Apple X11 environment that
is included with MacOSeX 10.3 & 10.4. (New machines don't have the X11
interface software pre-installed, but it is included on all OSeX install &
restore disks. It's a simple point and click "upgrade" to get X11 installed,
as I'm doing right now with my daughter's new MiniMac) .

Once installed, Apple X11 allows you to run a number of familiar Xwindows
programs that as Gimp and OpenOffice. It is my understanding that you can run
environments like KDE and GNOME as well, though the default integrations with
Apple's Aqua makes doing so optional (and, IMHO, redundant).

There are a substantial number of OSS OSeX(11) packages out there, both binary
and source. Installing a lot of them has been made extremely easy with apt
repositories and an apt-get based command line utility called Fink, and using
Fink is made extremely easy by it's GUI companion, Fink Commander.

There are also one or two 3rd party X11.org ports for OSeX; I think the main
one is called XDarwin. Compiling some of the "unstable" packages found in the
apt repositories requires the 3rd party environment, but XDarwin and Apple
X11 are mutually exclusive, so I have chosen to stay in the "stable" X11
world so far.

HTH!
peace
aaron