[ale] HOW2 filter a directory of file names... by DATE... ?

fletch at phydeaux.org fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Mar 14 08:45:19 EST 2006

> Thank you for your help and pardon my obtuseness  :-)   but...
>
> If I understand your recommendation...the -cmin flag to find, pertains
> to modifications times of a file, not it's actual implementation date.
>
> I want to be able to say, e.g. "delete all files in this dir that were
> put there on 3/7/06, and ONLY that date".
>
> How can -cmin do that ?

Short answer: you can't, but that's as close as you're going to get.

Long answer: See question 3.1 in this FAQ.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part3/

If the file was created on the 7th, modified on the 10th, renamed with mv
on the 13th, and cat'd this morning (the 14th) then the modification time
will be the 10th, the change time on the 13th, and the access time on the
14th.  Nothing external in the filesystem will remain in any way that
links the file to the 7th.

Having said that, if you're using a filesystem that supports adding extra
metadata to files you could add an extra attribute with the creation time
when you make the file and use that; however I've not used such a beast on
Linux so I can't even point to relevant commands (OS X would be another
story :).

fletch at phydeaux.org|  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'